What To Do If You Think You Might Have The Coronavirus
If you feel sick with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, and have traveled internationally or were in close contact with someone with coronavirus in the 14 days before you began to feel sick, please alert your health care provider before going to an already scheduled appointment or the emergency department.
If you become sick
- Consider taking over-the-counter medications that you normally use for cough/fever.
If under age 15 do not take aspirin or aspirin containing products.
- Continue to take your regular medications unless your health care provider advises you otherwise.
- Stay at home until you have no fever for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication.
- Avoid close contact with others.
- Cover your mouth when sneezing, blowing your nose or coughing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Wash hands frequently and always after coughing/sneezing, etc. Use soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Do not share glasses, cups, utensils, toothbrushes.
- Clean hard surfaces (especially in commonly used areas: bedroom, kitchen, bathroom) with standard household disinfectants.
- Contact your health care provider if you have any further questions or if your condition worsens.
If your symptoms worsen
- Contact your health care provider.
- If it is an emergency, call 911.
- Upon ﬁrst contact with any health care provider (physician, ambulance, emergency room, clinic) inform them immediately that you have a cough/fever so that they can treat you promptly and appropriately.
This content was provided by the New York State Department of Health.
For General COVID-19 Questions
The public may contact the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) 2019 Novel Coronavirus hotline at 1-888-364-3065 to speak with a NYSDOH expert who will answer questions, Monday – Friday from 8:00 am – 8:00 pm. Or visit online (ny.gov/coronavirus) to get more information about the coronavirus.
ORANGE COUNTY RESIDENTS
If you are an Orange County resident and have recently traveled outside the U.S. and have questions regarding coronavirus (COVID-19), please contact the Orange County Department of Health at 845-291-2330.
SULLIVAN COUNTY RESIDENTS
If you are a Sullivan County resident and have recently traveled outside the U.S. and have questions regarding coronavirus (COVID-19), please contact the Sullivan County Department of Public Health Services at 845-292-5910