The Family Birthing Center at Garnet Health Medical Center – Catskills is the choice of patients and families who want to have their baby in a comfortable, homelike setting. The Birthing Center is the next best thing to being home for your special delivery. Our goal is to provide you with a wonderful patient experience and exceptional healthcare while making your stay as comfortable as possible. You and your family are part of your healthcare team.
Garnet Health Medical Center – Catskills’ Birthing Center is located on our main campus and is a beautiful environment to welcome new life. Our modern, state-of-the-art facility offers advanced equipment, as well as the comforts of home. We take pride in offering a patient-centered, warm and welcoming atmosphere dedicated to enhancing the joys of childbirth.
The Family Birthing Center is a locked unit.
Please share with your family and friends the visiting hours on the unit of 12:30 pm – 8:30 pm. Visitors will be asked to ring the bell at the entrance to the unit and will be granted entrance as soon as possible. Patience in gaining entrance is appreciated, as staff are caring for our patients.
- The number of visitors on the unit is at the discretion of the staff on duty.
- Children who are visiting must be supervised at all times.
- Children under the age of 12 will be permitted to visit laboring or delivering patients at the discretion of the healthcare providers and based on patient care needs.
- To ensure new mothers and newborns get a good night’s rest, only significant others are allowed to spend the night.
- Due to hospital policies, video and photography during labor and delivery are prohibited.
To contact our Birthing Center, please call: 845-794-3300, Extension 2372
What to Expect During Labor & Delivery
During labor, mother and baby are constantly monitored from the nursing station so that any concerns can be quickly addressed. A main factor resulting in the significantly below the national average rate of cesarean sections at Garnet Health Medical Center – Catskills, in keeping with the goals of the World Health Organization. An operating room is always nearby if a higher than usual level of care is needed.
With care provided by our team of attentive nurses and skilled physicians, we balance human touch with medical technology, giving you confidence in your ability to give birth. Our nurses will provide you with continued support during your labor and birthing process.
- Your Nursing Team will see you throughout the day. Please let them know if you are having any concerns or need anything to ensure your stay is exceptional.
- You will be seen by your doctor every day. You may find it helpful to make a list of questions to discuss with your doctor at that time.
- We will keep you informed about your medical condition and medications. Please talk to your doctor or nurse if there is something you don’t understand or if you need more information. Each patient room has a whiteboard used to enhance communication between patients and caregivers.
- If you want your loved ones to be updated on your condition, please designate one person for your care team to communicate with. To protect your privacy, the person you designate will need your four-digit PIN#. You can find your personal PIN# in your admission booklet. Ask your nurse if you need an admission booklet or have difficulty locating your PIN#.
To contact our staff at the Birthing Center, please call: 845-794-3300, Extension 2372
Accommodations at Garnet Health Medical Center – Catskills’ Birthing Center
All rooms at the Birthing Center are private, with amenities for both comfort and safety:
- Secure unit
- Central fetal monitoring
- Private bathrooms with showers
- Sleeper sofa for significant others
- Table and chairs
- Rocking chair
- Attractive decor and pleasant artwork
- Televisions with VCR/DVD players
While the Family Birthing Center is a secure and locked unit, our obstetrics professionals encourage family members to share the occasion, and their warm hospitality makes visitors feel welcome. The comfortable waiting room is equipped with televisions, DVD players, telephones and WiFi.
Times to Know
- Meal times are as close to 8:30 am, 12:30 pm and 5:30 pm as possible.
- Your vital signs will be assessed per your doctor’s instructions.
- If your doctor ordered morning blood tests, the lab will draw blood starting at 5:00 am.
- Visiting hours for your significant other are unlimited. Visiting hours for all others is 12:30 pm – 8:30 pm. We know it is important for you to have your loved ones around, however it is also very important for you to rest. Please know that we will make every effort to accommodate special visiting circumstances.
- The Main Entrance of the hospital is locked at 9:00 pm and will reopen at 6:00 am. If family members need access after 9:00 pm, they can enter through the emergency room.
Childbirth Classes for Expectant Parents
Two months before the due date is a good time for expectant parents to enroll in the childbirth classes offered by Maternal Infant Services Network of Sullivan, Ulster and Orange counties. Classes are scheduled at several locations around the region, including Garnet Health Medical Center – Catskills. A donation of $25 per couple is appreciated but not required.
These popular classes fill quickly, so advance registration is recommended. For dates and locations of classes, call Stephanie Sosnowski at 845-928-7448 ext. 301 or email email@example.com
Rest and Recovery After Delivery
Photo credit: Fresh 48 Sessions by Jill C. Smith Photography
After the first hour of delivery, new mothers rest, recover and get to know their newborn in one of our seven postpartum rooms. The staff encourages mothers to stay with their babies around the clock for the duration of their hospital stay. Breastfeeding counselors are available, and staff members help new mothers to get successfully started on a feeding routine.
Fresh 48 Sessions by Jill C. Smith Photography take place during your stay at the hospital. Lifestyle in nature, these natural light sessions last 30-90 minutes and are as unintrusive as possible with minimal posing. Fresh 48 Sessions are meant to commemorate this precious but fleeting time in your family’s life as you welcome your new baby.
Bringing Your Baby Home
Our staff members are available to counsel you as you plan to have your child and after you go home with your new baby.
When new mothers are ready to go home, our case managers are ready to share their knowledge about community resources and discharge planning services. They can help with referrals to community agencies to assist parents who need additional information, guidance, home aides or financial aid. The Garnet Health Medical Center – Catskills Case Management Department can be reached at 845-794-3300 ext. 2130.
Text4baby: Free Health Text Messaging Service
Helping pregnant women and new moms increase their knowledge about caring for their health and giving their babies the best possible start in life. Text “BABY” (or “BEBE” for Spanish) to 511411 receive weekly text messages (timed to their due date or their baby’s birth date) throughout pregnancy and up until baby’s first birthday, including information on developmental milestones, immunization, nutrition, mental health, safety, and more.
Brought to you by The National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition (HMHB), more than 260,000 users have enrolled in text4baby since its February 2010 launch.
The National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition (HMHB)’s Text4baby is made possible through a broad public-private partnership, including federal partners: the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Defense Military Health System, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Free messaging is generously donated by participating wireless service providers.
Contact Us to Start Your Birth Plan
Make an appointment today with one of our affiliated health care providers to begin planning for one of life’s most amazing experiences.
If you would like to learn more about the many services available at Garnet Health Medical Center – Catskills’ Birthing Center, schedule a tour or get answers to specific questions, call our 24-hour telephone answer line at 845-794-3300 ext. 2372.